Bank Frick is an enterprising bank which offers a range of services designed for financial intermediaries. The Bank has a wealth of expertise in the area of tailored fund solutions and specialises in cutting-edge blockchain banking services. With a comprehensive product palette, Bank Frick is able to provide everything from a single source and offer its clients one-stop banking.
Continuity in change
Bank Frick was established in 1998 by the Liechtenstein fiduciary Kuno Frick Sr (1938–2017) together with a number of financial investors. Today, the Bank is owned by the Kuno Frick Family Foundation (65 per cent) and Net 1 UEPS Technologies, Inc. (Net1; 35 per cent), a Nasdaq-listed financial technology company. Bank Frick employs around 120 members of staff and operates a branch in London, UK.
As a family-run institution, Bank Frick pursues a long-term, strategic approach and favours a rapid decision-making process. The Bank sets great store by encouraging a healthy and professional working environment and maintaining a loyal workforce – something which is particularly valuable to its clients.
Outstanding expertise in regulated blockchain banking and the development of tailored fund solutions is what truly sets Bank Frick apart. The Bank is also the only bank in Liechtenstein with acquiring licences from MasterCard and Visa. For developers and fintechs Bank Frick offers a simple API.
In the Principality of Liechtenstein
The headquarters of Bank Frick are located in Liechtenstein. The small and scenic principality at the heart of Europe has around 38,000 inhabitants and is home to an innovative and flourishing economy, with the same number of jobs in around 4,000 different companies. Bank Frick’s Liechtenstein universal banking licence and Liechtenstein’s EEA membership means the Bank is able to offer its clients easy access to the Swiss market and the EU market via passporting.
With an AAA rating, Liechtenstein has a stable legal and economic regime and boasts first-class infrastructure. The Liechtenstein financial centre employs over 5,000 people, making it the principality’s second-largest economic sector after industry. Liechtenstein also has great appeal as a centre for asset management, insurance, funds and the fiduciary business. Furthermore, the principality uses a highly stable currency, the Swiss franc, as legal tender.
The history of Bank Frick
- 1998: The bank is founded. The principal original Bank Frick investors, along with the Frick family, are the Austrian BAWAG AG and the Vienna-Life Lebensversicherungen AG.
- 2006: BAWAG sells its stake to Bank Frick.
- 2007: The Bank moves to its new headquarters at Landstrasse 14 in Balzers.
- 2008: The next generation takes over at the Bank following the retirement of Kuno Frick Sr. Dr Mario Frick, a lawyer in his own law firm and Prime Minister of Liechtenstein from 1993 to 2001, becomes Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- 2011: Bank Frick becomes the first Liechtenstein institution to receive acquiring licences from MasterCard and Visa. The same year, Bank Frick also opens its UK Branch in London, with a view to being able to advise an international clientele and institutional clients in London.
- 2014: Following the violent death of former CEO Jürgen Frick, Edi Wögerer assumes operational management of the Bank.
- 2016: Bank Frick and technology company Net1 agree on a strategic banking partnership.
- 2017: Net1 acquires a 30 per cent stake in Bank Frick from the previous sole owner, the Kuno Frick Family Foundation.
- 2018: Bank Frick becomes one of the first banks in the world to offer trading and custodian services for the bitcoin (BTC) and bitcoin cash (BCH) cryptocurrencies. Net1 also acquires an additional 5 per cent stake in Bank Frick.
Bank Frick is a member of the Liechtenstein Bankers Association and the Deposit Guarantee and Investor Compensation Foundation PCC, Liechtenstein.